THE RIGHT ENVIRONMENT
Glenhill School believes each child develops differently, so we provide our young learners with the ideal learning environment where they are not limited by anything in their endeavours to learn.
- Teachers have planning time to collaborate together and design lessons
- High standards, means less quantity, more quality; deeper learning is what we aim for
- Self- initiated work and learning process
- Project Based Learning that are multi-disciplinary with a global focus
- Students use higher level thinking skills (compare, analyze, explain)
- Inquiry Based Learning, that initiate in our students a better understanding of concepts, rather than just memorising
- Reflection Techniques – students reflect on what they’ve done and how to improve it on their own
- Science is a process of inquiry and investigation- Students do experiments and know how to carry out the scientific process
- Integrated Studies- Subjects are linked together through a common theme
Pre-Nursery education has been designed and conceived by our highly experienced Montessori trained Teachers. The child learns to discover, explore and experiment in a stimulating and conducive environment.
Our focus at the Pre-Primary level is to make the transition between the secure home environment and formal schooling, interesting and as smooth as possible for the child. Emphasis is on nurturing the child’s imagination, creativity and providing him opportunities to express himself freely. We lay stress upon developing basic language skills with the help of phonetics and conversation. A sound knowledge of phonetics helps the child to build spellings independently. It is a method of creating an environment which fosters the fulfilment of their highest potential. Practical Learning prepares the children to face the challenges of everyday life and helps in building concentration. Various celebrations in the school and round-the-year activities allow self-expression, experimentation and questioning; thereby developing a scientific temper. There is a perfect balance of active and quiet activities, structured, besides the free-play activities.
A child’s mind is like wet clay and needs to be handled with care. Keeping this in mind, we at GLENHILL SCHOOL, VARANASI provide an encouraging and loving atmosphere, fused with a lot of fun, so that students shed their inhibitions and learn with a free mind. The methodology that we use to teach the students of classes 1 & 2 is ACTIVITY BASED, which involves a lot of co-curricular activities which assist the children in comprehending and retaining the concept in a better way.
The curriculum planned focuses more on depth and is progressive and flexible in its approach and is adjusted according to the learner’s need. Assessment at this level is not formal. The children are given activity based assignments to check the retention of the concepts taught. At this level we emphasize more on experiential learning. Our aim is to prepare the children to read, write and do mathematics. We also promote self control and inner discipline in children through appropriate interaction.
The child, already familiar with the basic skills in English Language, is now initiated into formal instructions through interactive techniques. The emphasis is on usage and application. In Science the focus is on developing scientific aptitude and making him aware of his/her surroundings. In Mathematics, problem-solving techniques are taught using application based methods. The co-curricular activities allow them not only to gain confidence but also help them realize their potential in various fields.
The important aim at this level is the learning of basics and forming a sound foundation which will enable the child to study more complex topics and problems at the succeeding levels. The instruction/curricula is planned as per the CCE guidelines of CBSE.
GLENHILL SCHOOL is known for its well designed system that fosters both academic and personal growth of its students, so that they can analyze and evaluate their experience, learn to doubt, to question, to investigate and to think independently. Our middle school curriculum provides and promotes a learning environment based upon developmental readiness, needs and interests.
Middle school is the stage of transition for the students from an activity based learning environment in the primary section, to the stage where teaching methodology is completely focussed on the pursuit of knowledge and development of understanding and skills necessary to interpret experience.
1. Co-operative Learning: It develops intellectual autonomy in young adolescents to interact in heterogonous groups to support the learning of self and others in the same group.
2. Student centered learning: It facilitates students engagement during class by designing hands on activities that help students construct their own meaning of the new concept taught in class. Here students socially interact with their teachers and peers through discussions.
3. Extrinsic and Intrinsic Motivation to meet five basic needs – survival, belonging, power, freedom and fun for the young adolescents.
4. Student-led parent teacher conference:Students take ownership of their learning and they are able to reflect on what they have learned, accomplished or have yet to accomplish. Self regulation is inculcated in their personalities.
5. Teacher student relationships: A strong, healthy and understanding relationship is developed between a teacher and a student to positively motivate students.
6. Visuals and Labs: Use of visuals such as Smart boards in the class rooms, well structured activities and research based programmes help in developing concepts and applications in various subjects, including English, Hindi, Mathematics, Science, Soc. Science, Sanskrit and Computer.
7. Other strategies: Case studies reflecting real life experiences as a part of Personality Development projects, field trips, parents as guest speakers, peer tutoring, Role play or skits are some of other effective teaching methodologies used in our school. Games and hobbies are also given emphasis to encourage exploration of values, foster imagination and develop physical and athletic skills. We follow the CBSE at middle school level to meet learning objectives.
All the teachers at GLENHILL SCHOOL, aim primarily to help the learner with systematic learning and development. Technology plays an important role in enhancing the learning system. The crucial factor in the teaching process is the quality of the lesson given by the teacher. Teachers use various types of modern teaching aids to connect with students, along with interactive and creative class room teaching. Our classes are equipped with modern teaching aids such as Interactive White boards, Visualisers, response system, projectors and educational software.
Academics: Our learning methodology extends beyond prescribed text books where students are encouraged to study complex topics based on experiential learning. The school follows modular scheduling to educate the pupils. The school works for five days a week.
Education imparted at GLENHILL SCHOOL integrates information teaching and nurturing creative and independent thinking. The teaching methodology is learner centred, nurturing academic excellence and Multi – Intelligence. Teaching method includes explaining, demonstrating, collaborating which establish a personal connection between the student and the topic of study, through group projects and discussions. This inculcates and enhances team work, leadership skills and presentation abilities.
Inquiry based learning which develops experimental and analytical skills in a group situation wherein students brainstorm topics and learn in groups.
Besides developing all the four skills – listening, speaking. reading and writing, methodologies are used to train children to be able to analyse, interpret and imbibe life skills. Great emphasis is laid on the development of communication skills and overall development of a child’s personality.
The course of studies are based on CBSE guidelines, At the +2 level, students have the option of three streams viz. Science (both PCM & PCB), Commerce and Humanities. Various combination of subjects are offered so that students can pursue their desired course of study Equal importance and assistance is given to prepare students for the prescribed CBSE syllabus as well as preparing students for various competitive exams.